11.25.2008

Sea Organ

Okay, get ready to have your brain blown...

About four or five months ago I was browsing around different photographers' websites when I came across this photo of these stairs in Croatia. (I'd give a photo credit, but I can't remember her name)


I loved this photo so I saved it and hadn't really thought about it much until today when I wanted to see if there were any other pictures of this place. So I googled "Croatia + Steps" and I found this...


It's a sea organ!!! Basically the waves push air through thirty-five perfectly tuned sound tubes underneath the steps and it makes music. How awesome is that? After researching a bit more I discovered it isn't the first one ever built. San Francisco has a similar wave organ that was built in 1986 but apparently it doesn't sound quite as nice. Anyway... I think it's pretty much the coolest thing I've seen in a while.

You can read about it at SeaOrgans.com and about it and other odd instruments at Oddstrument.com

2 comments:

triSARAtops said...

whoooooooa!

Amelia Louise said...

can we go find the one in SF if it's still there?


or better yet, can we just go to croatia?